Student “Service Above Self” Project
Sponsored by Columbus Rotary in partnership with
Columbus City Schools
Created in 2003 by Columbus Rotary to:
- Help Columbus City Schools (CCS) nurture a culture of service by fostering community service attitudes, knowledge and skills among its high school and middle school students.
- Enhance quality of life through implementation of student-led community service projects impacting their schools, communities, and even other countries.
- Exemplify Rotary’s motto – “Service Above Self.”
- Assist student teams from every CCS high school and middle school, faculty, and community partners in creating and conducting student-led community service projects that maximize the impact of students’ time, talents and energy.
- Recognize and honor participating students and their community service projects at the annual High School and Middle School “Service Above Self” Fairs attended by 500+ CCS students, CCS staff, Rotarians, and other community leaders. In addition to the Fairs, other recognition venues are used throughout the year.
- Reinforce the link between students’ classroom learning and community service activities. Learning through serving.
- Use Student “Service Above Self” Project activities and visibility to inspire other students and highlight the values of service.
- Oversight – provided by Columbus Rotary’s Student “Service Above Self” Project Committee and CCS-designated administrators.
- On-going operations – conducted by the Project Coordinator who is selected by Columbus Rotary, reports to the Project Committee and collaborates regularly with CCS.
- Funding and in-kind support – provided by the Project sponsors and corporate supporters.
Opportunities for Community Organizations and Businesses
The Student “Service Above Self” Project encourages partnerships between student project teams and community organizations. These partnerships enhance student learning and skill building as well as project impact.
Businesses are invited to provide funding that supports overall Project operations.
Timelines & Participation Requirements – See High School Details and Middle School Details pages.
High School and Middle School Fair Overviews – See High School Fair and Middle School Fair pages.
Video of the 2015-2016 Project Summary presented to the Columbus City Schools’ Board of Education CLICK HERE.
For Additional Information: Contact: Rick Studer, Project Coordinator email@example.com